SENSITIVE POST WITH POSSIBLE TRIGGERS…
This is my second attempt to write this blog. During attempt one, for the first time since beginning Not So Mommy…, I had no idea what I should say. Staring at a blank screen with a blank mind, I sat in front of my computer for at least 15 minutes, typing nothing. I mean, even during a “good” year, May is an extremely triggering month for we childless women. Throw in a global pandemic, and the stress of May 2020 seems almost too much to bear.
May 2020 . . .
I’m bracing myself for the onslaught of “how amazing moms are during this pandemic” social media posts. To try and offset this, I’m publishing a special blog just for we childless on May 10 (the day which shall not be named). In fact, my posting schedule is going to be a bit different this month, as I want to make sure I provide support when you need it. So, I’ll be publishing on the following dates this May:
- Today, 1 May (obviously)
- Friday, 8 May – Special Edition in honor of Dog Mom’s Day (which is 9 May)
- Sunday, 10 May – Special Post just for we childless
- Monday, 18 May – Continuing the “Redefining Home” Series, focusing on a furniture piece that was supposed to be the changing table in our nursery
- Monday, 25 May – A CNBC Story from a fellow childless warrior
Also, I plan to send two emails. One will be on Sunday, 10 May with a link to the special blog post I’ve written just for we childless. The second will be our regular monthly newsletter, sent on the last Saturday of the month–30 May. (You can subscribe to my email list here.)
Now, back to today’s blog post…
When planning my 2020 editorial calendar (before Covid19 and social distancing made its way to my home state), I wanted to write a post focusing on days we childless could celebrate this month.
If I’m honest, this is a bit selfish on my part actually. You see, May is the most difficult month of the year for me personally. To combat the sadness and inevitable wobbles, I’ve learned that I must focus intently on the bright sides of my life. The current pandemic has caused me to be more anxious than normal, so I fear this May will be even harder for me.
To be even more honest, I really hadn’t planned to share any of that with you. But a fabulous one recently reminded me to continue being my “raw and honest self.” So, I decided to tell you why, after quite a bit of vacillation, I really feel like I should stick with the plan.
I mean, I could really use something to look forward to right now. And if I were a betting woman, I’d wager you need something to look forward to, as well. So, here goes…
What is there to celebrate this May 2020?!
What can we childless women celebrate this May while struggling through a global pandemic AND coping with Mother’s Day? Well, quite a lot, actually.
Acknowledge the pain, honor what is, and just be silly…
A month of special days this May 2020. A couple acknowledge our pain. A few honor our what is. But most are just for fun (and are even a bit silly)…
- 1 May- Canbace Day (and Maddie’s 7th birthday!)
- 2 May – Herb Day
- 3 May – Bereaved Mother’s Day & Infertility Survival Day
- 4 May – Star Wars Day (though if I’m honest, I don’t get the hype of Star Wars!)
- 5 May – Cinco de Mayo (NOT Mexican Independence Day, says the former Spanish teacher!)
- 6 May – Beverage Day & No Diet Day
- 7 May – World Password Day (Are you passwords strong enough?)
- 8 May – National Outdoor Intercourse Day (though I am NOT recommending it! Ha!)
- 9 May – Dog Mom’s Day & Lost Sock Memorial Day
- 10 May – Lilac Sunday
- 11 May – Eat What You Want Day
- 12 May – Limerick Day
- 13 May – National Apple Pie Day (So, a reason to eat dessert!)
- 14 May – Dance Like a Chicken Day (I may have to record a video…)
- 15 May – National Chocolate Chip Day
- 16 May – Love a Tree Day
- 17 May – Pack Rat Day (No need to clean, organize, or throw anything away today!)
- 18 May – National No Dirty Dishes Day (So, get some take-out!)
- 19 May – National Devil’s Food Cake Day (Another reason to eat dessert!)
- 20 May – National Juice Slush Day
- 21 May – Eat More Fruits & Vegetables Day (Plus, it’s my hubby’s bday!)
- 22 May – Don’t Fry Friday (Always wear sunscreen!)
- 23 May – National Taffy Day & World Turtle Day
- 24 May – Asparagus Day & International Tiara Day (Though I’ll be a queen while eating chocolate!)
- 25 May – National Wine Day
- 26 May – National Blueberry Cheesecake Day
- 27 May – Nothing to Fear Day & Cellophane Tape Day (Yes, I’m serious. You can celebrate tape!)
- 28 May – National Hamburger Day
- 29 May – Pink Flamingo Day
- 30 May – Mint Julep Day (If you don’t like those, I think any adult beverage will work!)
- 31 May – National Macaroon Day (Or just grab a cookie!)
A few more good things in May…
May is also…
- Gifts from the Garden Month
- Barbeque Month
- Hamburger Month
- Photograph Month
- Pet Month
We’ll make it. Together.
I hope my crazy list made you grin a little. And I hope that you found a day or two or twenty to have a bit of fun this month. Because let’s be honest. May kind-of sucks. But maybe, just maybe, celebrating your dog mom role, smelling a lilac, eating what you want, dancing like a chicken, loving a tree, or wearing a tiara will make it suck just a little bit less. Truthfully, I think that’s all we can strive for right now. Making May 2020 during a global pandemic suck just a little bit less!
Thank you for reading my ramblings.
We’ll make it through this, fabulous ones. Together.
So many hugs…
More Resources to help you this May…
- Redefining May as a Childless Woman
- Redefining May by Redefining Momhood…
- Mother’s Day: From the Perspective of a Childless Woman
- 4 Strategies to Survive Mother’s Day & Other Triggers
A Special Give-Away for Dog Moms!
Dog Mom’s Day is Saturday, 9 May. So, I’ve teamed up with Spina Organics Dog Grooming Products to give-away a gift basket to one lucky Dog Mom! Make sure to keep an eye out on Facebook for more details!
If anything I wrote resonates with you, fabulous one, please tell us about it in the comments.
Subscribe to my email and never miss a post!
Featured Photo: Created by me, using Canva